Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bachelorhood Revisited

After the startling realization of my lack of taste for women I have a newfound appreciation to my predicament here. Actually would much prefer to call it a rediscovery.

I have this officemate that I despise so much not just for being obnoxious but for the idea that he got a senior level in our company when we got in together. I really hated HR for their poor quality in background checks. I could've done better.

Well, anyway, being the "senior" level that he was, we were all under the impression that he was livin it up. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Having a family with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way is a daunting task. This added with paying bills, mortgage and other expenses (he really doesn't know how to budget his money) is a recipe for going broke. To even think that he earns 3 times than I do and yet he's drowning in expenses. Actually his earnings are not the problem. It's just that he is very irresponsible either as a family man or as a professional. He just plain sucks. This guy was just the shining definition of biting off more than you can chew - living beyond your means.

This is the harsh reality, folks. Life is not easy! It never is and it never was. Whoever told you that they've lived the easy life or that they've found an easy way to live it is either lying to you or just wants to suck you into one of the MLM (bullshit) schemes. If they were telling the truth they must've forgot about their hard lives.

Having been single for months on end I have rediscovered the beautiful significance of my predicament. I can buy whatever I want without ever feeling guilty of not leaving something behind. I can go wherever I want without having to ask someone if I could go. Being the loyal asshole (ergo, boyfriend) that I was, I could never do these things having the uncontrollable urge to take care of my girl.

Computers, cellphones, clothes and accessories as well as travel plans are just a few of the many things I have either accomplished or planned to do in the upcoming days. I just love it! After putting my life and my resources on the line for years for someone who cannot promise me anything or give me anything in return I can finally set myself free.

There's another thing I have always overlooked in my past that I never did - my parents. With all the things I have accomplished I have never returned the favor to them. They are not getting any younger. My mother can no longer do simple house chores due to a disorder in her spine. My father has reached that age where neither my taxes nor my insurance can cover. He's not so lucky with his business as he used to. For months now he hasn't had any luck at all. He's flat broke and he has to rely on me to give him some wedge. I'm just glad I can help him. I've got lots to spare. If I weren't single I'd have to sacrifice one of them. Never again. They come first now. I never bug him about what he owes me. After all, I owe a lot to them. Although most of the stuff I did was all me they were there to give me some guidance.

I wasn't raised to be materialistic. We came from humble beginnings. Little by little we came through. I wasn't an heir to a thriving business empire like the typical Chinese brats of my time who did nothing in their life except catch the afterglow of their parents. This is where I learned the value of ambition and hard work - values these kids will probably learn when they're going out of business. I can only smirk at their so-called "success stories" in newspapers. It is so sensational you could've sworn the page was probably paid for. Sent to blah blah school of blah blah country studying this and that of "nobody gives a shit". An expected outcome hardly seems sensational given the resources at hand. Why not feature a rags to riches story to inspire others instead of making them feel insignificant towards people who got there by doing insignificant things?

While churches and lower class people tell me their delusional philosophies of the vices of ambition, I went the extra mile. You go nowhere by being simple-minded. I eventually realized that there is nothing wrong with being ambitious as long as you are humble in the eyes of God and to the people who brought you wherever you are. It's ok to want things. It's even better to be resourceful enough to know how. I won't let anyone tell me what I'm doing is wrong. If ever you feel the need to listen to them ask yourself: Are they gonna be the one to raise me? Are they gonna give me what I want in life? Why not live with them then? Remember, you first BEFORE others! Help yourself before you help others. There's a reason why they put that simple instruction on airplanes. You're no good to anyone else if you're either helpless or dead.

I have everything I could ever realistically want right now. I can live a life I can appreciate and I have a promising and successful career that I love so much. I still have so many plans in life and I'm only in the beginning. I realize now, with a hard-earned lesson, that I can get to where I want if no one will ever hold me down again. Live free!

No comments:

What others are yacking...