Sunday, November 26, 2006

Web development failure by committing cardinal sin #1

As part of my experience in the web development field I have learned not to make typical mistakes that spells an all out disaster of a website. Being under the mentorship of a man who was sales, marketing and development all rolled into one, you get to learn a lot of meaningful things. One of the first things NOT to do with a website is to saturate with with features that eventually become useless or hard to maintain.

This week our competitor just released their version of a project we were working for the past year. I can't help but feel amused at the situation. Not that I'm not showing any loyalty to my company, my loyalty lies to my job.

Today, I tried out the site and see how they did their stuff. To my surprise, it was simpler and no nonsense. No hassles, actually. Again, a surge of amusement coursed through my mind. I can't say I'm surprised at this development. We just spend the last year bickering over what field shows up and what it should and should not do. Trivial matters that should have been left trivial. Yet everyday I am treated as if I am not seriously doing my job. Accused of doing unrelated things. I didn't need to explain my actions. This development proves it all. They screwed up even after I warned them again and again not to go overboard with this. It's kinda a ironic how in their desperate and "competent" attempts to simplify customer experience they have dug us into a hole of unconventional, not to mention inconvenient, professional practice, they have also introduced more problems for the user than ever before. It takes an entire day to figure out a workaround for an unusual scenario that can simply be ignored. Yet I have to fix it just because it bothers them. Huh? For that same amount of time I could've spent it on getting major things done.

Why were people who know nothing about websites made to handle this task? Websites are designed to present information to customers/visitors not interact with the lowest levels of an operating system. Yet here we were trying to make it possible. It's not that it's not hard or impossible to do, it was just that it is not a good idea. It just introduces more complications and security implications. We have already been accused once of using spyware and here we are trying to do something suspiciously similar. It's amusing, pathetic and irritating all at once.

It's really sad how in a room full of engineers everyone is right. No one admits to being wrong and no one wants to listen. On top of that everyone in my team has been profiled as choleric temperaments. Unfortunately, I'm the only one who is actually on the frontline of this project is me. The only one competent enough about web-related tasks. Yet here I am being dictated by people who claim to know more about my job than I do. The hypocrisy lies in being reprimanded for not being a team player because I think on my own and yet when something goes wrong because one of them isn't doing their part it's MY fault as if I weren't in a team at all.

I've had it with this. I'm moving on to another rat hole.

No comments:

What others are yacking...