Friday, February 19, 2010

Idle Hands

"Idleness is the workshop of the devil." -John Bunyan

Honestly, I originally thought it was St. John Bosco who said that line because our school priest uses that tag line just before we're off for summer vacation (just in case we do something stupid while technically NOT being a student of their school). In case you witless and prejudiced readers out there re-read that line in shock and awe... Yes, I went to a Catholic school for boys so please keep your tongues in your mouths. I'm not exactly the first abomination (it's safe to presume I'm gay if you like) who crawled out of "ideal" cultured environments, you know!

Anyway, in regards to idleness, I have come to realize another type of evil. STUPIDITY. God, as much as I like to think a lot while working, doing nothing is some kind of addictive drug that lulls you into complacency. In fact, it is so addictive and dangerous (at least to my job) that I strongly believe there should be a law against it and I don't mean the divine kind!

One week. Yes, one week is all it takes before my mind starts to go. Hell, even ecstasy takes years to rot your brain and here is idleness taking hold of me at a rate faster than it takes to get a virgin woman to get addicted to sex (that is, presuming if she experienced her first orgasm or not).

I don't know if this problem is me or if this is a normal thing. You spend days wasting away in front of your desk waiting for something to be done and you start thinking: "Well, this is nice." You start surfing the miscellaneous primordial soup of questionable information on the Internet and you suddenly feel like you there's nothing else that exists. I have already mentioned the fact that a large part of my existence has already lost itself in the online world.

Okay, so I was wrong! Maybe these are actually two drugs: Internet and idleness. I already knew this perverse - and I REALLY DO MEAN PERVERSE - concoction of asinine proportions would be the pitfall of any brilliant mind even back in high school. Many a high school student has already fallen by idleness alone and what they do behind closed doors is as disturbing as you might imagine.

So why do I put up with it aside from my conscious acknowledgment of its nature? Well, to put it simply, in my work, there's really not much to do around here once you get the ball rolling and the ball is in someone else's court and you wait for it - albeit, PRAY for it - to somehow get back to you with either positive or negative results.

What's the worst that could happen? Well, for starters, when the ball gets back in my court I would start staring at it like some dumbstruck animal as if I didn't know I was the one who tossed it in the first place. I've gone so soft that the idea of work has to be instinctively avoided like STDs and strangers my parents and teachers used to tell me. When work does happen, I don't have answers to questions that would have been routine on any busy day. In short, I'm just too lazy to think after so many days of not thinking!

"I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do." -- From the movie Flight of the Phoenix

No comments:

What others are yacking...