Thursday, May 19, 2011

I am Troll


"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion." -- From Wikipedia



Just a few moments ago I happened upon this site that was all about anti-barefoot running while quoting a Google search. Scanning through the site's articles had me yelling "troll" at the back of my head. Seriously, a domain dedicated to publishing all his rants about the barefoot paradigm? This guy took trolling to a whole new level!

I won't lie. I really wanted to hate the guy. He pulled his ideas out of the forums where he was bitching is defiance and put in a site that he controlled and declared martial law. While most of his arguments can simply be answered by doing the research (or experimentation) himself instead of relying and attacking an entire community, the core nature of his blog would make me a blooming hypocrite (and I hate hypocrisy). I compulsively argue with people who either have their heads up in the clouds or up their asses because that is just me. I don't let people get carried away with their habitual delusions even if it means finding me unpleasant.

Honestly, I'm no elite runner. I'm not even a competitive runner at that. Just like him, I'm simply a blogger. Shooting him down would be like shooting my gray matter out with a shotgun and pissing on the residue. I might as well be looking in the mirror while I'm doing it. His insights on barefoot running maybe troubling for hardcore barefoot runners just like my insights on call centers, death and monogamy may be unsettling for deluded believers.

I'm not saying he's wrong nor am I saying he's right. I'm saying he dares to ask. He questions the ideas set forth by an entire group just like me - just like a few of us. Of course, that idea may not always be generally acceptable. It may well be taboo for most readers. I do enjoy delving into unpopular and unwelcome thoughts because if those thoughts don't exist, what's the point of being alive? I tell you it's far better than keeping it to yourself. Who knows, it may eventually sink in. Hint: Once the idea is fed, it's not coming off.

So for my parting phrase I tell you: Dare to ask. Be a skeptic before you can be a believer and you don't necessarily have to be "right" to believe in something.

I am not a troll. I just don't agree with you.

No comments:

What others are yacking...